If you don't know much about solar technology , it's helpful to learn the basics. This technology is very practical. Solar is a very efficient power system, and the uses for solar are endless. Wherever you need power, solar can provide it. The more you know about it, the more uses you'll find for it.
Solar cells- How they work
Converting solar energy into usable electricity is a simple process which has been around for several decades. The silicon based cells, which make up a solar panel, convert sunlight into electricity through a process known as the ‘photovoltaic effect’. The ‘photovoltaic effect’ is a process in which ‘photons’ (aka as packets of energy) from the sun are absorbed and transferred to an external source (like your light globes) by your solar panels.
The amount of power your solar panels produce will vary depending on the number, configuration and orientation of the cells and the temperature and intensity of the sunlight they are exposed to.
Solar panels- How they connect and what they can do
Solar Cells are arranged into panels that are sized for a particular power output. When photons collide with the cells, they excite electrons on the surface that shake loose and start a flow of electrons, or direct current (DC electricity) to an external source.
In most cases solar panels are usually mounted on the roof of houses, sheds or garages, but they can also be installed directly onto the ground. Solar panels should be installed in the area that is exposed to the most sunlight. A most ideal location for a solar panel is a north-facing roof inclined at 30 - 35 degrees. Having said that an orientation within 45 degrees east or west of that will only have marginal differences in the amount of power a solar panel produces.
What you need - What solar power can do for you?
- Solar panels can help you save and make money – your solar energy system will save you money when it comes to costly electricity bills and it could make a substantial amount of money for you.
- Solar panels can help you reduce your carbon footprint by up to 33%.
- Solar panels are completely emission free – unlike most of the electricity used in Australian homes, solar energy is clean free energy and can offset the use of fossil-fuel generated electricity.
- Solar power systems represent great value continuing to generate clean electricity for up to 25 years, making them a valuable alternative to paying a premium for Green Power.
- Solar power systems are reliable – most come with a warranty and a performance guarantee.